Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Easter Egg Hunt Ride - 60 miler

Ok, ok... the ride is really known as the Fox Hunt ride, but it IS Easter after all. Didn't find any Easter eggs though.

I should have known that the ride would start off on the wrong foot when I was tooling around the parking lot on the bike, didn't unclip fast enough, and my left knee met the pavement. It stung a little, and thought not much of it other than from the impact. I discovered post-ride when I took off my biking tights and found my knee covered in blood. Ouch.

During yesterday's 10 mile run, I managed to pull my left calf. (Left leg is getting a lot of abuse this weekend, isn't it?) It was sore all day yesterday, but feeling fine early this morning. However, soon into the ride, the soreness resurfaced. Ug. Going to be a long day. I hoped once I got into a biking groove it would loosen up. It did, luckily. However, every now and then the leg reminded me of the pulled muscle.

About 20 miles into the ride, I was STARVING. I ate a breakfast of the usual spinach omelet, and had a Gu at mile 15, but it wasn't enough. Perhaps because I didn't also have a Boost pre-ride? I'm trying to watch the caloric intake a little, but maybe I cut out too much. So, I began to nibble on my bagel with honey & banana. That helped.

By the time we reached the rest stop at mile 25, I was like a kid in a candy store. I was wide-eyed at the selection available. I was seeking out my usual mid-ride treat of Nutter Butters, but didn't find any. So, I settled for gummy bears. Not one pack, but two. Ok, they were small packs and priced at 2 for $1. They're not the best thing to consume on a long ride, but they sure were good!

Midway through the ride, I took note of the incised streams. (GEEK ALERT, GEEK ALERT!) After spending this past week in North Carolina, learning about geomorphic assessments (analyzing the physical health of a stream), I couldn't help but notice the streams. Ok, so that's truly geeky. Back to the ride...

I continued on with Timra, Andrea, Christy, and Pam. It turned out to be a beautiful day for a ride. And here we were, in Virginia wine country. My favorite ride locale. By this time I had a full belly, was enjoying the weather, and loved the scenery. My spirits were rather high.

That is, until about mile 47. Our group was spread out by then, so I was alone. It seemed absolutely endless to ride along Zulla Road into Middleburg. I was just there last weekend and I swear, the road got longer since last week. Trust me, it was longer.

Upon arrival in Middleburg, there were 8 more miles left to the car. I try to tell myself that the ride is almost over when I can easily run the remaining distance. That mental game did not help too much today. Maybe my spirits would have been lifted if I stopped at Piedmont Vineyards and visited my winemaker buddy from last week? After all, the route passed right by the vineyard.

The last 8 miles were eternity! It didn't help that my left calf began to completely act up. I had a little break when with 4 miles to go, Jill and Jenni Banks passed by in a car. I can do 4 more miles, right? I was so elated upon return to the car!

Joanna, Pam, and I decided to head home and grab a snack enroute rather than join the team at the tavern in Middleburg. I think we made a wise choice. Panera was heavenly, especially my non-fat caramel latte. YUM!

Heading off to swim this evening to loosen up...

No comments: