Sunday, January 13, 2008

Take a View of the Skyline

Typical weekend... run, bike, eat, sleep...

Saturday's run along the W & OD trail from Arlington. Joanna and I, the walking wounded, opted to run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute for our workout. It actually went well, and we unpredictably passed some who were running the entire time. Maybe there's some true logic behind the Galloway method for marathoning? Hmmm... she and I went for over 2 hours, a total of 12.2 miles. At that time, Joanna went to use the elliptical trainer, and I went out for another 1/2 hour of run-walking, for about a total of 14-15 minutes. Good news that the knee was pretty much in check the entire time. Wha-hoo!

Sunday... ride from Marshall, Virginia. The ride is called Skyline Views, but I'd like to call it Winery Views. We passed by Farfalu, Rappahannock, and Oasis Vineyards. And several others were nearby. May have to open a bottle of cabernet sauvignon tonight!

The ride started out awfully chilly (thank goodness for the toastie toes and hot hands that Santa put in my stocking!), but I warmed up by about mile 5. The ride was pleasant for the most part. Scenic, relaxing, rolling hills... My knee was bothering me a bit, but at the rest stop, I raised the saddle a bit, which helped alleviate troubles.

During the second half of the ride, it began to cloud up and became downright chilly. Carol Camel and I made the best of it, both suffering a bit. Neither of us can imagine ramping up our mileage quite yet. Ug. My pedal cadence began to go down the tubes. Goal is to have a pedal cadence of 90+ rpm; I was at 60-70. It was depressing when this elderly man, wearing knickers (he looked like he was dressed cheesily to play golf vs ride a bike), riding this sorry ass bike with a load in back, passed me by. I kept telling myself that hopefully he was just at the start of a quick commute down the street and I was nearing the end of a 40+ mile ride.

Check out the route:

No comments: