Monday, January 07, 2008

Geaux Tigers - part I

Good morning from the CC's Coffee in Baton Rouge. I certainly wish we had a CC's Coffee in the Washington DC area, but alas, I guess having it only available in Louisiana makes it all the sweeter.

I'm visiting Baton Rouge/New Orleans officially for work (heading to the consultant's office in a bit), but anyone who knows me, knows why I'm really here: tonight's BCS Championship game. I received my master's degree from LSU and was a university employee for 3 years, so although I was not born with purple & gold blood, I certainly have made up for it and cheer just as loudly as any other Tiger fan. I've got my purple and gold on today for work.

I arrived into New Orleans Saturday night, with plans to run the 101st annual Jackson Day race Sunday morning. Recovery week.. easy run. Fun run, and great to see lots of old faces from New Orleans and Baton Rouge. It's a 9K, sort of an odd distance, about 5-1/2 miles. I finished in 53:44. Not bad. Best thing was that knees did OK. Actually, my limiting factor was the heat and humidity. I'm certainly not used to it. It actually hit a record high of 80 in Baton Rouge yesterday! I started to feel a little dizzy about midway through the race and had to take it a little easy. I finished just fine. Here's a picture from the post-race party... McKinney and The Braz (my former commanding officer from my Navy days) drinking several beers at the post race party.

You see, it's unheard of to have a race in New Orleans and NOT have beer afterwards. No one would come. And there's lots of beer available.

Off to work....

Geaux Tigers!

No comments: