Sunday, January 27, 2008

Run from Fletcher's Boathouse



Saturday was our last long run before the Myrtle Beach Marathon, a 20 miler. I, of course, since my knees were giving me a bit of grief recently, am doing the 1/2 marathon instead. Nevertheless, I wanted to get a long run in to essentially follow our Ironman training schedule and ran 16 miles. Running from Fletcher's Boathouse is fun, as I can say I ran from DC-MD-DC-VA-DC.

Carol "Camel" and I ran the first bit together, from the Boathouse all the way into downtown Bethesda, MD. We did the run-walk thing, feeling good. Coming back was a net loss in elevation, and we managed to negative split the 5 miles by about 10 minutes. Who-hoo!

We refueled back at our cars, said hello to those who ran shorter distances, and went back out to finish the run. Carol wanted to retrace her steps on the Capitol Crescent Trail, back into MD, whereas I wanted a change of scenery and be able to cross the Key Bridge to say I indeed ran into VA, so we separated. Besides, she needed to run the longer distance as she'll do the marathon.

There's something therapeutic about running solo, along the Potomac River and the C & O Canal. The canal had a sheet of ice, suspending itself in time. What I like most about running in Washington D.C. is the opportunity to observe and enjoy all that the city has to offer. All too often, people zip by, busy with their lives, and never have the chance to notice what's around them.

No comments: