My second trip up to the Pacific NW this summer! And timed appropriately with recovery week.
I did my long run (7.5 miles) on Friday, along the South Bay Trail. This trail, connecting downtown Bellingham to the historic district of Fairhaven, is a rail-to-trail conversion, running parallel with Bellingham Bay. It's highly popular with both casual bikers and runners. It suited me perfectly for my run. I'm still feeling slight tenderness from my crash, but it fades once I get moving, so hopefully when I start truly gearing up for the NYC Marathon, I'll be back in action.
I worked a race on Saturday, called the Bellingham Traverse (http://www.bellinghamtraverse.com/). The course is supposed to follow the life cycle of a salmon (only in Washington!), and is a multileg race consisting of running, kayaking, mountain biking, and road biking, either as a team or solo. The finish line is at the brewery (http://www.bbaybrewery.com/) a couple doors down from my mom's condo (how convenient!), so it worked out well for me to work timing. It was a fun race to watch! The big chatter amongst the racers and organizers was next weekend's Hill Climb. It's a 24.5 mile ride along Mt. Baker Highway, but with a 4300' elevation gain, with 3/4 of the elevation gain on the second half of the climb.
(http://www.norkarecreation.com/hcinfo.htm) The race is expecting some pro cyclists, as a $4000 award is available for the record. The hill climb is certainly on my radar screen. Maybe next year? Just to give it a try.
Otherwise, the weekend was filled with the tourism bit in and around Bellingham. Zip over to Lummi Island (the "forgotten San Juan Island") for the artist studio show, boat tour of Bellingham Bay (saw lots of harbor seals, but missed out on the pod of orcas... ug!)
I took my mom out on an easy hike in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Forest (really, just an extension of North Cascades National Park), along the Horseshoe Bend trail, hugging the Nooksack River. We recalled having gone white water rafting, starting in this same spot. Very nice trail, very family friendly. I think she's going to return soon.
All in all, good trip. Is a move out there in my future?
No comments:
Post a Comment