Thursday, September 20, 2007

Take a Dash on the Silver Comet

Last week I ventured to Atlanta for a class (unsteady modeling... doesn't sound terribly exciting, but it was truly a worthwhile class) and stayed through the weekend to hang with Patrick, a friend and colleague who lives there.

As the NYC Marathon looms over my head, I was slated to run 16 miles (wound up going 14 due to time and pace). Patrick suggested we venture to the Silver Comet, a rail-to-trail conversion 60 miles in total length. Nice trail, lots of shade. Patrick supported me from his bicycle and took this video of me at about mile 11:

As you can see, I have a tendency to lean towards the left. Ed (my coach) and Kerri (my PT) have been on me for this for a while. I certainly don't notice this when I run, not feeling discomfort or anything on one side. But, improving my form will likely improve my endurance and speed. Hmmm. So, as the triathlon season is nearing a close, I've come up with some goals for the off-season.

1. Improve running form. Work on core strength and running drills. Endurance in running will come with doing the NYC and Austin Marathons.

2. Back to basics in swimming. My swimming progress seems to regress. Triathlete magazine just had an article on 12 weeks to becoming a better swimmer. Perhaps I'll take a break from swimming with the team and just return to basics.

3. Improve cycling cadence. This needs improvement for endurance. And with quicker cadence will come faster speeds.

4. Drop some weight. I'm about 10-15 lbs heavier than I'd like to be. I just need to be disciplined in the diet.

No comments: