Friday, July 18, 2008

A Little R & R in Lake Placid

Today was an opportunity for some rest and relaxation. I wanted to avoid all the hype of Lake Placid and step away from Ironman stressors for a bit.

Besides, as many times as I have ventured up here, I figured it would be nice to see some of the sights other than the Ironman course.

Our original plan was to take the gondola ride to the top of Little Whiteface Mountain, an area popular for skiing in the winter, and mountain biking in the summer. We arrived, and saw a few mountain bikers prepping for a day of fun. We were disappointed to discover, however, that there was an unknown wait to take a ride on the gondola due to thunderstorms in the area. (We had heard the thunder all morning and had occasional spots of rain.)

Hmmm... so let's go to Plan B and take the Veteran's Memorial Highway and drive to the top of Whiteface Mountain. We drove up 3 miles of the highway to the toll booth and were told it was a $14 fee and 0 visibility at the top. Well, no use in venturing any further.

So, Plan C was put into action. Let's visit the High Falls Gorge. The Ironman bike course passes by the entry to the gorge. As many times as I've been past it, I thought it was time to actually see what was back there. We were rewarded with 700 ft of waterfalls.

Tonight is dinner with Carol and Carrie: make your own pasta night!

I've got my race bags ready and tomorrow it's time to check all my gear in. Get ready!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!

(Hey, is that SNOW in one of your photos??)