Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Empty Nest


I won't dwell on the details, but I was forced to euthanize my cat, Socrates, on Sunday. She was staying at the PetSmart kennel during my travel to St. Louis and to New Hampshire and something was amiss on Sunday and she was rushed to the emergency vet. It seemed that whatever it was, was neurological. The saddest part, was that I was unable to see her in her final hours.

She was such a good kittie. I adopted her from the SPCA in New Orleans in April 1997. She and I had an immediate connection when I first laid eyes on her. The day I brought her home was the morning of the Chalmette Crawfish Festival, and I remember my friends McKinney and Chris coming to my pad pre-festival and decided to name her Socrates. No, she's not named after the philosopher, nor is the pronunciation the same. She was named after Socrates Street, in Algiers Point, my neighborhood at the time. So, her name was pronounced SO-crats. Odd, but it stuck.

She absolutely loved people. She was purring until the very end. She frequently was chatty and seemed to respond whenever I needed an ear to listen.

Life moves on, but I cannot help but feel that my home is an empty nest. I miss her.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

i am so sorry about your kittie:(

i know how that feels and its very tough; let me know if you need anything, ok?

Christy said...

Oh, Marlene, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Our pets give us unconditional love and it's so hard when they pass. I'll be sure to give you a hug the next time I see you.

Christy

Anonymous said...

Socrates was the best kitty ever. She had a good life. She loved her spot on the couch pillow - that is how I will remember her. I loved her as much as I love the boys