Sunday, June 01, 2008

Count 'Em- 1, 2, 3, 4 Flat Tires!

Today had a 70 mile ride on the schedule. I thought not much of it. After all, with Ironman training, my perception of a long ride is a little skewed. After biking 100 miles last weekend, a 70 mile ride seemed like cake. On top of that, the ride was going to be on relatively easy terrain. No problem.

Last night, strong thunderstorms came through the Metro area. As a result, many of the roads we were biking on were heavily laden with debris. Early on, I was biking with Harriet and Kitty when I mentioned to them that it would be a miracle if we exited this particular stretch of road unscathed. It was a virtual obstacle course from the debris.

I guess I should have eaten my words.

About a mile or so later, both my front and rear tires blew out. I only had one tube and one CO2 cartridge with me. Great. I began to change my front (having not immediately noticed my rear was also flat.) Diane, who was sagging, pulled over and was able to give me a second tube and let me use her pump. To save time and get some tire changing practice, Carol offered to change my rear. (She had some challenges changing a flat of her own in Lake Placid last weekend.) Ed also caught up to us and handed me over a third tube in case I flatted again. (Flat tires tend to come in multiples.)

Not five minutes later, my rear tire blew again. I was with Carol and Pam at this time, but I insisted they continue on. Diane saw me pulled over to the side of the road again. In the midst of the chaos, I managed to lose my cap to my wheel skewer in the grass. Diane proceeded to look for it, while I changed my tire. I found the culprit: a staple embedded in my tire. I used my tube from Ed and my only CO2 cartridge.

Diane and I were unable to find the cap to my skewer, so I was forced to temporarily stop riding until I got a replacement.

I rode in Diane's car for a period of time. Carol was briefly lost, so we helped her get back on track and rejoin others. We eventually met up with Ed who was able to give me a replacement cap and I was able to resume riding.

About ten or so miles later, my front tire flatted again. Great. I was alone and out of tubes and CO2. I tried to call Ed and Susan on my cell phone and wasn't able to get hold of either of them. Bill Hall came upon me and was able to hook me up with both a tube and CO2. I think he sympathized with my plight and offered to change my tire. From the looks of my tube, I got a pinch flat. UG.

Bill put me back in business and I continued on. By this time, I was tired, very dirty, and just ready for the ride to be over.

I was alone, with about three miles left in my ride, when I heard a branch cracking. I looked up and behind me, and saw a branch, about 3 or 4 inches in diameter fall directly behind me. I about had a heart attack. That was a close call. Had it fallen on my head, it would have knocked me out cold. I could not help but panic a bit. Tears began to stream down my cheeks. That was just too close for comfort.

Was karma haunting me for not taking the ride seriously enough to start?

Needless to say, I was thrilled when the ride was over.

Upon checking my front tire later on, I am surprised I did not flat a fifth time. A sizable gash was in it, exposing the tube. I made it a point of order this evening to order new tires.

I am glad it is now recovery week. Ya-hoo.

1 comment:

sbo said...

Marlene-That sounds a bit like my 60-miler a couple of weeks ago. Funny how not respecting the distance can bite you in the butt. As someone who has had many flats this year (and has had to call her brother to come get her when she ran out of tubes and CO2), I'd like to think we are paying our dues now rather than July 20th. :-) Now...go out and buy lots of tubes!