Saturday, February 02, 2008

Mardi Gras Weekend

I succeeded in dragging myself out of bed this morning to go for a run. I knew it wouldn't be pretty. (1) I was up well past midnight last night watching parades. (2) Dinner last night consisted of 2 pieces of Popeye's chicken and 2-1/2 Abita beers. (3) No means for pre-run breakfast. Oh well, some run was better than no run. So, I headed out with a bottle of Accelerade in hand to scope out the early morning action along the parade route and in the French Quarter.

I remember why I tend to steer clear of the French Quarter during Mardi Gras, particularly Bourbon Street. I ran only three blocks of Bourbon Street, before I could no longer take running through the mysterious goo on the sidewalks. (Stale beer, discarded beads, and a lot of stuff I don't want to think about.) So, I switched to running along Royal Street, peeking in the windows at more art I'd love to add to my collection.

Returning along Decatur Street, I paused to flirt with the group of guys trying to convince me to trade in my Accelerade for some beer. Maybe I should have?

Anyway, it was a short run, but I managed to knock out something. Besides, does the 4 miles I walked to and from parades last night count?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun in the Big Easy - wish I could go back & enjoy it myself. Thank goodness the city is rising like a Phoenix. Laissez les bons temps rouler!