Sunday, October 07, 2007

Viva Las Vegas

The final trip of my whirlwind of a September/early October concluded with a trip to Las Vegas to celebrate Dad's 60th birthday. A group of 4 of us made the trip for a memorable weekend: Dad, Patrick, my uncle Frank, and yours truly. Patrick had never been to Las Vegas before and figured it would be fun to come, especially with the opportunity to take advantage of Dad's comps.



The weather was unseasonably cool, with highs in the 70s. Friday, Patrick and I ventured out to Red Rock Canyon, with plans of doing an easy hike. However, the winds were strong (heard up to 50 mph gusts), making it feel super chilly. So, needless to say, our visit was confined to the vistor's center and the scenic drive, with the occasional popping out of the car for photos. Very pretty though.


Later on Friday, Dad decided to treat all of us to a helicopter trip over the Grand Canyon. I'd never been in a helicopter before and it was certainly surreal. The flight to the Canyon only took about 1/2 hour, flying essentially along the Colorado River, over Lake Mead, and over the Hoover Dam. With the high winds, the ride was a little rough. The pilot kept assuring us that we were perfectly safe, that helicopters can handle a lot, and the winds were "nothing". I'm not so sure I'd want to find out when the winds are "something". The Grand Canyon was rather breathtaking. As much of a National Park buff as I am, it's surprising I'd never been there before.

Saturday was little more low key, with a walk along the Strip and our actual 60th birthday celebration with decorations and cake.

Saturday evening ended fantastically, with going to see Jay Leno do standup and a fabulous LSU victory.... GEAUX TIGERS!

So, today is Sunday and everyone from our group has departed except me. Yes, I went for a long run. No, I did not go as far as scheduled. I felt great, the weather was perfect.... but I need to start wearing compression shorts during a run. I got some nasty chaffing inside my thighs. Ouch. I simply couldn't take it anymore. Needless to say, my final long training run is postponed to next weekend at home. I am shortly going to venture to get a massage at the spa, chill at the pool, and get a mani/pedi before leaving for the airport later tonight. Back to reality tomorrow....

No comments: