Monday, August 13, 2007

My First Road Bike Accident

I've had a couple of mountain biking accidents, requiring medical attention, but this Sunday's ride was my first time crashing on my road bike.

It was a great day for a ride. A fun-filled weekend started out with Angel Helen's wedding out in Linden, where a few of us crashed at the house Friday night. I got up Saturday morning and went for a trail run along the Appalachian Trail, which crossed nearby the house. The run was fun and leisurely, and I stopped at one of the huts along the AT (built for thru-hikers) to read the log book and make an entry myself.

The wedding itself was beautiful! Helen and Noah seem truly truly happy.

Then Saturday night I went with Jenn Byl to see Dave Matthews. What an amazing concert!

After a full day Saturday (and not getting to bed until about 1am), I was debating whether or not I'd even make the ride. However, I saw that several others were going, I didn't want to ride solo later in the day, wanted to get on my bike due to a trip to Louisiana this week, and figured with 40 miles, I'd be home early enough to take a nap in the afternoon if needed.

So, the ride started out fun and fantastic. We rode out from Riley's Lock, which is easily accessible from the Metro D.C. area. There's some great scenery and hills in that area. At about mile 26, we approached a left turn. My group didn't anticipate it well, saw the road late, and accidentally failed to signal a left turn. I made the turn wide (I was going pretty fast descending down a hill), whereas another girl (someone new to our team) made a sharp turn. I saw I was going into her. My bike skid on some gravel in the intersection and I slid right into her. I hope she's all right, but I do know the accident caused some damage to her rear derailleur. (I think she was otherwise going to continue riding, so I believe she's all right.)

I crashed on my left side. From the initial impact, I was reluctant to move. Alisa called up Ed to let him know what happened. I could still wiggle my toes and all, so we knew I was fundamentally ok. I suffered from a minor concussion, as I have a small bump on my head, had some nausea, and initially could not remember exactly what happened. I got my wits about me quickly though. Thank goodness for helmets as mine took the brunt of the fall.

I also have some road rash on my left shoulder and back. My bike jersey is tattered. I felt hardest on my left hip and butt. That's the most sore. I've got scrapes from the road rash and some bruises, but like I said, overall I'm ok. Ed pointed out that I should consider myself very lucky.

Ed and Talia drove me home after the ride. I just chilled on the couch and ordered a Domino's pizza. Not sure when I'll be game for some exercise again as I am quite sore. Hopefully I'm out and about soon. :-)

I'll keep the helmet as a reminder why we wear them.

2 comments:

Xena said...

Holy crap! I hope you're okay :( just FYI, depending on the brand of helmet, the manufacturer might replace it. I think Giro does this.

Tony said...

Yikes!! I'm glad that you're okay! Obviously bummed that you're going to be out of commission for a while. I hope you're able to get back out and about soon! Take good care of yourself!! :-)