Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Culpeper Race Report

750 meter swim: 18:19
15 mile bike: 54:23
5K run: 27:45

Finish: 1:44 (82/205 women)

The days leading up to the race were not exactly conducive to triathlon training. A killer project at work kept me there until the wee hours blaring 80's music and keeping Starbucks venti non-fat raspberry mochas a staple in my diet. To add, the weather forecast was hot and word on the street from those that previewed the course was that it was quite hilly. All in all, I was not expecting anything spectacular. After all, though, I do triathlons for the fun of them. And that was my mission for the day.

I drove out bright and early to the race with Holly and Tim. Tim seemed to appreciate being chauffeured as he took a little snooze in the back seat of my SUV en route to the race. Holly and I just chuckled.

The transition area was a sea of Team Z green. I was lucky enough to obtain race number #77, so perhaps I was destined to have a great race day after all?

I knew the water was going to be warm for the swim. I did not quite expect it to resemble one of those mochas I've been living on as of late. Absolutely could not see anything in the water. Another swimmer and I kept bumping into each other. Upon exiting the water, I felt like I had a decent swim, but upon review of my time, my pace was the slowest in over 2 years. Perhaps due to the warm water and lack of wetsuit?

The bike course surprised me. I was expecting some horrid death climb which would cause me to regret bringing my tri bike versus my road bike. The course was a bit challenging, yes, but not nearly as bad as I expected. I was left in the dust by both Kari and Matt (damn, they're fast) and kept Holly in my sights for a majority of the time until the last 1/4 or so of the course. I passed a handful of Z'ers myself, saying hi, as it is always fantastic to see a friendly face out there.

I started out the run slowly as I attempted to get my legs underneath me. The run course had a tough reputation as well, and being unfamiliar with the route, I played it safe. The course was out-and-back, however, and upon the turn-around I asked myself, "was that it?" Yes, maybe a tough hill here and there, but certainly nothing compared to Columbia. The out/back format allowed for plenty of opportunities to cheer on fellow teammates. I believe I negative split the run, but I have no way to verify.

It felt good to finish strong. My bike pace was about average for me, better if the course was actually 16 miles as many think. My run pace was my fastest triathlon race pace in two years!

Congratulations to the many Team Z'rs in their first triathlon. Simply put, it was great to see you out there and enjoy the experience with you.

Next up- Annapolis....
(Thanks to Dan Hicok Photography for all the great shots!)

No comments: