According to Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary, the term sag is defined as a car that picks up or otherwise assists cyclists who have had to stop riding, either from fatigue, injury, or mechanical failure. It's origin is either from the verb "sag", or an acronym for "support and gear".

Once a month, I sag one of our organized triathlon rides. I opted to sag today, knowing that riders were slated to bike up to 90 miles. I bought treats and was hoping the day would be uneventful and I could simply lend moral support.
It was anything but uneventful.
Our ride was from Riley's Lock, roughly following the Potomac River between Seneca and Point of Rocks in Maryland. I have personally had back luck during our team rides from Riley's Lock, once where I had my one-and-only road bike crash and last year on the 90-miler where I just bonked.
As for today, there was the rain. Many of us have ridden in the rain before, but no matter what, I feel that one never quite gets used to it. Today was the type of rain that just seemed endless. A consistent steady rain. Over an inch of rain fell during the day, with radar estimates showing 1.06" at Seneca Creek State Park, near our ride start location.
With rain, comes hazardous riding conditions. I have been sagging rides since August, and this was my first time with incident (other than minor mechanical issues). I had to bring someone to the emergency room. Sebastian slipped and fell on some treacherous railroad tracks. Luckily, his injuries were not too bad, only a deep gash in his arm. We were in the town of Point of Rocks at the time. Seems that the closest hospital (or urgent care for that matter), was in Fredrick, about 12 miles away. We needed some more immediate care to stop the bleeding. We were directed to the local fire station (which I would have never considered on my own), as they have ambulances. It was a quiet day at the fire station and they were glad to help. Afterwards, we continued onto the ER, as stitches were necessary. Seb asked me to take photos, which I've posted here.
Thank goodness for sag. I have heard stories from others, of biking solo, having an accident, and simply having to await another passer-by for aid. Naturally, of course, I hope as a sag person, we are simply available to provide moral support, but when we are truly needed, I am happy to be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment