Today was our first visit to Skyline Drive, the road that runs along the length of Shenandoah National Park (SNP). It was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the 1930s. Of course, since it is in a National Park, the views are fabulous. As cyclists, we ride there as it's the most challenging terrain local to Metro Washington D.C., allowing not only a chance to learn how to climb mountains, but also how to descend them.

Because of my bike fit on Friday night, I was curious. Would I have a successful day on Skyline Drive?
My first time out to Skyline Drive 4 years ago (pre Team Z), I started at Dickey's Ridge and rode from there. All the parking outside the park was taken, so I drove in the park until I was able to leave my car. That was my first visit to SNP. My car struggled with that initial climb. I rode solo that day, but a fellow cyclist whom I happened to be dating at the time (why didn't he take me out there for my first visit?) told me I missed the best part by driving the initial climb, rather than riding it on my bicycle.
I've since been out there several times. It's been a while since I've ridden it though. My climbing has considerably improved in recent months. How would I fare?
It's easy to get spread out on Skyline Drive. For one, upon entering the park, there is a fee. As a result, there's a time delay getting everyone through. Plus, with varying levels of riding ability, some are able to climb the drive faster than others. In reality, though, we are
all relatively close to one another, but due to switchbacks, are out of eyesight.
I rode for the first two hours with Ann. I haven't had much opportunity to ride with her in the past for various reasons, but this gave us a great opportunity to chit-chat, giggle, and make the climb that much easier. She had to turn around at the two hour point because, well, that was what her schedule called for. Only those of us doing Ironman this year had to press on.
I was ascending for 2-1/2 hours when it was time to turn around. I made it mile marker 19. It was time to fly down the hills. However, by this time, it was rather chilly up in the mountains. And it began to sleet. Trust me, descending on a bike at 35 mph in sleet feels like razors against the cheeks. Once the ride was done, I nearly had to check in the mirror to ensure I did not have gashes on my face.
The return trip took an hour.
Despite the chill and sleet, I had an AMAZING ride. I kid you not, my legs felt fresh at the end. I was not tired; I was not sore. I had some very mild discomfort that goes with a 3+ hour ride, but other than that, I felt great! Score!
Post ride, we ventured to the traditional post Skyline Drive stop of the Apple House, a cheesy shop with useless Virginia-themed souvenirs, but the food is worthwhile. I ate a buffalo burger and fried apple sticks. Very good.
I have enough post-ride energy to show at the Sunday night recovery swim. The schedule mentions a surprise. I'm intrigued....
1 comment:
First of three(?). By my count, there are 4, assuming we do skymass from Elizabeth Furnace.
Post a Comment