Ah, an absolutely beautiful day to ride! Today's 50-miler (ok, really 48 miles) called for a ride in Southern Maryland, with views of the Chesapeake Bay. We rode there in early spring and today's return was much better weather.
A small crowd showed at the ride, with the recently indoctrinated Ironman finishers taking a much needed break. That meant a low showing for the AngelZ. (Although Angel Alisa did not race Coeur d'Alene last weekend, she's presently in Lake Placid previewing the course and doing her last mega-workout before tapering for her race.)
So, Angel Carol and I represented, gaining honorary Angel Carrie for the ride. A nice leisurely pace. Ken Wagner joined us for part of the ride. He's typically a much slower rider, but today was his debut using clipless pedals and he wound up surprising everyone (including himself) by whipping ass and eventually leaving us in the dust.
We had lovely beach views of the Chesapeake, some eye candy as other road riders were out there, and a mini-adventure. Shortly after the midway point, we came across some road construction. With no known detours, we attempted to ride through it. However, there were barricades to climb over and around, grass to tiptoe through, and the general road construction debris. This all required some carrying of the bikes. Hence, it was beginning to resemble a cyclocross race. Hmmmm.
This upcoming week is a recovery week. I'm doing a 5K on the 4th of July. I was hoping to kick some bootie in my last 5K and that didn't happen, so we'll see how this one goes. Then I'm off to Chicago for a 5-day weekend to hang with the family.
Oh, by the way, yesterday, Helen and I ventured out toward our regular riding area, this time wearing actual girlish clothes vs bike gear, and went to visit her wedding venue and then went wine tasting. She marveled at the wonderful wineries in the area and wondered why she hadn't visited before. (I've been known to cap off the end of a training ride with a winery visit. Yeah!) I may have found a new partner in crime for post-ride libations!
Sunday, July 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment