Sunday, June 03, 2007

Let's get re-geared up!

Ah,

So, nearly a year has passed since I successfully completed my first Ironman triathlon. And now what? Soon after the race, I participated in a couple of short distance triathlons, just for fun. What was more crazy was doing my 10th marathon in the fall. You'll have to understand my reasoning, however. It was the Seattle Marathon. It's held over Thanksgiving weekend. I was heading that way anyway to visit my mom for the holiday (and my birthday!). Secondly, it was the one and only marathon where I had DNF (did not finish) after my name. I felt like I had unfinished business there and this was an opportunity to fix that.

I struggled quite a bit during the Seattle Marathon, as I found myself rather lazy post-Ironman. It was also difficult as work had temporarily relocated me to work in New Orleans. The first part of the race was fun and leisurely, but the notorious Seattle rain tore up my spirits the second half. My mom even bailed out on cheering me on. (Her reasons were highly understandable as it was beginning to snow. I-5 from Seattle to her home in Bellingham- 85 miles north- isn't well-equiped for snow. She wasn't quite keen on getting stranded.) Anyway, during the race, freezing rain and snow fell. Erg. But I was FINISHING! I can be so stubborn. I was very thankful for the hotel hottub and sauna after the race.

Now I find myself truly getting back into shape. I have done two triathlons thus far this season. (I'll post the race reports shortly.) And I have several more races on my schedule.

Will I do another Ironman? Hmmm.... After last year's race, I swore up and down that I had nothing to prove to myself, that I wanted to engage in other things, etc. etc. I went to watch Ironman Florida in November. A couple of Team Z triathletes were doing it, and since I was in New Orleans (a 5 hour drive away) I decided to go and support. Being there, the Ironman bug was slightly woken up inside of me. And now I see my fellow Team Z members getting ready for Ironman Couer d'Alene. I've done the bike rides and runs with my fellow Angels (I can explain the Angels in another post), granted at much shorter distances, but even as they went longer, I'd be with them in spirit or in a car to support. I am heading out to cheer them on later this month at the race. Then next month, I'm returning to Lake Placid to cheer and volunteer at the Ironman there. Several members of Team Z will sign up for next year's Ironman at Lake Placid. I fear that I may get caught up in all the excitement and sign up too.

3 comments:

ironhelen said...

RE: Placid 2008 - do it! do it! do it!

Anonymous said...

i think this is crazy.. i mite be bc im in the middle of a pretend taper.. but i could consider doing IMLP.. esp if i dont finish this yr!

Anonymous said...

guys. i cant believe im saying this.. but if i DONT finish IMLP this yr.. i mite sign up for it next. yr. maybe..