Ahhh... the mountain bike. It's been a while since I've been on it, last October in fact when I did an adventure race with Tes. I figured it was about time that I get on the darn thing, since I'm doing an off-road triathlon in a month.
Now, mountain biking is truly my first love. I used to actually HATE my road bike. I had one, but only went on it when mountain bike conditions didn't prevail. When I started biking in Louisiana, road biking was monotonous and just plain work. Sure, I did my first century (100-mile bike ride) while I was still living there, only to prove something to myself, and swore up and down I'd never do it again. (I guess I ate my words a few years later.)
Anyway, back to this evening. My ride was first postponed due to severe thunderstorms. After the storm passed, I headed home and decided to do an urban assault (ride around down vs the trails due to lack of light and possibly wrecking the trail due to the rain and potential ruts). I should have known that karma wouldn't play in my favor. Prior to the ride, I had a flat front tire. I began to change it, but as I inflated it, I discovered a pinch flat and immediately wound up blowing the tube with explosive force. BOOM! (I think I woke the neighborhood.) Ok, that was my only spare. But, I was determined. I found that my original tube wasn't damaged, just flat and was still usable. So, I rechanged the tire back with my original tube. Then I inflated my rear tire only to discover that my valve was broken. I quickly placed on the valve cap, figuring it would hold air long enough for me to ge
t in a ride this evening.
Not five minutes into my ride, when I decided, now or never, time to jump the curb. Needless to say, I misjudged the timing on my bunny hop and BOOM! This time it was my body hitting the pavement. #!$^^$. Injuries are minor... just scrapes to the knee and elbow, but they sting like heck. Check me out post ride. (Socrates, my cat, wanted to get in the picture too.)
So, what's with me and flats these days? My new road bike, Zorra the Explorer, has had 5 flats on her rear in the last month! I think I've finally resolved the problem, but if I get another flat, she's going into Conte's bike shop for a little check-up.
Anyway, so back to mountain bike crashes. I've never crashed on my road bike (knock on wood), but I've had a couple of horrific mountain bike crashes! As a bonus (and amusement), I thought I'd include a picture after my worst crash. In June 2002, David (boyfriend at the time) and I went for a mountain biking/camping weekend in Desoto State Forest in Southern Mississippi. I was a new mountai
n biker at the time and shortly after the start of our ride on day 2, I got a little brave and tried to go over an obstacle. I wound up flying over my handlebars and landing square on my face. I chipped 4 teeth and had a swollen nose. (We thought it was broken, since it was off-center, but it was just really swollen.) My mom asked me to take a picture of myself so she could see how awful I looked! So, now I'm sharing it with y'all.
n biker at the time and shortly after the start of our ride on day 2, I got a little brave and tried to go over an obstacle. I wound up flying over my handlebars and landing square on my face. I chipped 4 teeth and had a swollen nose. (We thought it was broken, since it was off-center, but it was just really swollen.) My mom asked me to take a picture of myself so she could see how awful I looked! So, now I'm sharing it with y'all.Happy riding!
2 comments:
OUCH!!!!!
holy crap marlene. did you have to reattach your nose? omg. you shoudl just stick to your road bike!
Post a Comment