Well, this weekend we headed out to the George Washington Forest to celebrate the Team Z birthday with our longest scheduled training weekend, and of course, a little bit of socializing. After all, aren't we a social club with a triathlon problem?
Our Team Z slogan is "You'll Never Know... Unless You Tri". Now, it may sound a little clichéd to some. But I think I realized the true meaning of it this weekend.
I arrived Saturday morning ready for our long run. On the schedule was 20 miles (or 3 hours, whichever came sooner). After some logistical confusion, we finally started running about 10am. Naturally, perhaps the hottest weekend thus far this year happened to coincide with our longest training weekend of the year. Oh yeah. The run was on a fire road of sorts. Natural ground is nice, but whew! It was hilly. I ran with Durst and Jenn Byl and in order to keep our heart rates down we had to walk up the hills. We ran for 2:45 and only managed to squeeze out 12 miles, indicative of the challenging terrain.
Afterwards was a much welcomed lunch, a visit from Potomac River Running, and our Team Z birthday party. I couldn't imbibe too much at the celebration, knowing a long day of biking was looming ahead of me. I had a beer then retired to my tent to read and fall asleep.
Sunday morning arrived quickly. I had a restless sleep, wildly filled with dreams. And now I had to bike 100+ miles.
The bike ride was along the "Sky-Mass loop", largely considered to be the most challenging bike ride in the area. It climbs Skyline Drive from start to mile 31, decends into the town of Luray, then climbs Massanutten Mountain before hitting rolling hills back in for a total 82 miles. We were going to do that, and then some.
I biked solo for the first 15 miles or so. Along the initial climb up Skyline Drive, I could hear "Charlie's Angels" (Alex, Siri, Helen, and Jess) singing as they rode to Dickie's Ridge. I was highly amused. We met up together at the Dickie's Ridge stop and biked together for the rest of the day.
It was a gorgeous day outside. The view along Skyline was fantastic. About 35 miles into the ride, we hit the top of Hogback Mountain, and were then completed with over 50% of the climbs for the day. Yippie. During the decent into Elkwallow, we had a near crash. Dive bomber Helen pointed to her right, and I thought she was pointing the turn into Elkwallow, when it was actually a deer preparing to cross the road. Jess and I were close behind Siri as she slowed down to try and avoid the deer. Luckily, Jess and I were able to avoid Siri and the deer. Otherwise, that could have been ugly. We want to sing "Doe, a Deer", not "Do a Deer".
Upon arrival in Elkwallow, Alex's bike saddle was increasingly giving him grief, inducing fears of his abilities to have children. Needless to say, he insisted we press on, as he awaited on the side of the road for Ed's arrival and repair assistance.
We continued on into Panarama and onto the decent into Luray. Siri pointed to the sign on the side of the road indicating the downhill for the next 4 miles. Yippie!! We had earned our break. Quickly after our decent, Ed pulled up with Alex. Alex had insisted upon completion of repairs that Ed deliver him to rejoin his "angels". That was one of the highlights of the day.
Shortly thereafter was the rest stop at 7-11. It was 11am, and 80 degrees, or so the sign said. Alex and Helen's rendition of "Hot Tires" was starting to ring true. It certainly felt much hotter! We filled up on Gatorade, water, potato chips and Nutter Butters. Yee ha.
Time to press on. We knew that the infamous Massanutten Mountain loomed ahead. Erg. Upon arrival at the base of the mountain, we knew it. Our speeds quickly slowed to 5-6 mph. Massanutten Mountain is known for bringing many a sad face to many cyclists, forcing them to walk. I decided in my mind to go as far as I could and then walk when I had to. Soon thereafter, Ed found us in his sag wagon. He said, "Go as far as you can and then when you're ready to stop, I'll bring you to the top. I've already brought 4 people up the mountain." Hmmm... peer pressure. Do I stop? I saw Ed again a short bit later and he basically said now or never. Either accept the offer or attempt the mountain. He said that he had only seen one person be successful thus far, and that was Schwartz, and she was suffering. Knowing Schwartz is a far better climber than me, I decided to bail. Quickly thereafter, Siri, Helen, and Jess joined me. But now what? Alex and Bill were on that mountain too. Was there any room for them? Without saying a word, they pressed on.
And then the Angels, Ed, and I witnessed perhaps one of the most inspirational moments of the day. Ed turned on the music and we cheered Alex and Bill up that damn mountain. It was such a victory at the top. Bill went on, electing to ride solo. The rest of us descended down the mountain (a scary descent, forcing one to go very slowly, which makes for zero reward for such a difficult climb).
After that, it seemed like the end of the loop was within reach. Just some rolling hills and we'd be home free. Nay nay. Rolling hills, yes. But not exactly home free. It was blaring hot outside and no forgiveness of shade. We passed landmarks we'd seen from the car the day before, but funny, they came slowly. I began to get some new life as we saw some teammates coming from the opposite direction, heading out for more mileage. For one, the company was welcome, and for two, it meant the end of the loop was near.
Finally, return to Elizabeth Furnace. OK. I looked around... fellow Ironmen-finishers-to-be were suffering. I heard Schwartz call out to John S (who did not want to go out again) to get back on the bike and do at least 100. I later heard that before that Schwartz went through racking her bike and getting changed into fresh clothes before forcing herself to go out again. The two of them did go out again and finish 100. My calves and left shoulder were very sore. I thought that taking some Advil would help. Part of me wanted to bail as well, but I knew I couldn't. I couldn't leave Charlie's Angels. They were suffering just as much as me and it simply would not be right to leave them.
The initial plan was to go out 5 miles and back. OK. Five miles out. That's doable. We made it to 5 and decided to go to the store (another 3.5 miles out). I was biking slowly, a little ways behind the group. The Advil was kicking in, which helped, but the heat and humidity was getting to be too much. Helen was slowing quite a bit too. We went on and made it to the store. All I wanted was a Coke. And believe me, it was the best. Coke never tasted so good.
OK. Time to head back. Again, slowly. Helen stopped briefly as this farm to watch the goats. She was amused by their little bells. It's easy to forget the simplicity of the country while on a bike, with the wind in the ears. But stopping for a moment, we were able to chuckle and watch the goats and gaze at the Massanutten Mountain in the background.
And soon we were back. I earned my spot in the Charlie's Angels photograph and went through my highly secret initiation process and received my token of rememberance. As hard of a day it was, at the same time, it was my easiest 100 miles on a bike. The accomplishments of the day took a while to sink in, and I realized that we are all simply human, yet amazing at the same time.
Monday, June 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment