Wednesday, October 07, 2009

24 Hours of Booty September 26-27, 2009

Someone once told me that there comes a time to do a race for someone else. In other words, do an event where the primary goal is to raise awareness and funds for those who cannot. In 2005 I did the Gulf Coast Half Ironman Triathlon with Team in Training for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The following year I raised monies for the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women while I trained for Ironman. This year I participated in 24 Hours of Booty to benefit the Lance Armstrong Foundation, the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults, and Johns Hopkins Medicine.

I had originally hoped to build a relay team of four (or more) where we could rotate over the entire 24 hour period. Unfortunately, it did not quite pan out that way. Those who initially expressed interest backed out to various reasons. It wound up just being Carol and me.

The ride was up in Columbia, Maryland, about halfway between Washington DC and Baltimore. It was held on 2+ mile closed loop course in a business park.... not exactly scenic. Less appealing was the rain. Hmmmm. I knew I could not bike too long due to back pains.

Carol and I made it a mission to go at least 30 miles. Staying out there was a bit of a challenge... chilly, rainy, and rapidly becoming dark outside.

By the time dinner rolled around (the ride started at 4pm), we knocked out our mileage goal. And we were cold and soaked. Needless to say, we changed into dry clothes, ate dinner, and drove home.

A little disappointing. We agreed that we would like to do the event again, but with a bigger group than just the two of us.

Thank you to all of those who helped contribute toward the $565 I raised for 24 Hours of Booty. Next year, bigger and better?

No comments: