There's two months left until my Ironman in Lake Placid. Now is an opportunity to reflect on what's going right and what needs a bit of tweaking.
Two years ago at this point I was struggling a bit. By this time we had our 100-mile ride. I made some critical nutritional errors that day. Additionally, my 100-mile ride had seemed to come out of nowhere, as for the bulk of April my training had been put on hold due to military training. One advantage I've had this time, is no military training. I did struggle with the 90-miler ride we had recently. I am hoping the 100-mile ride scheduled for this coming weekend goes well to alleviate my concerns.
Running is going fairly well. Two years ago my running suffered substantially. I virtually skipped all Monday night runs to rest. I was consistently plagued with knee pain. This time, I'm nearly pain free thanks to orthotics, lessons learned, and strength training prescribed by Kerri, the PT Extraordinaire.
My swimming has markedly improved. I feel comfortable in the water and have complete confidence that I can do the swim just fine. Two years ago, my confidence was lacking quite a bit.
I feel like I've found a nutrition formula that works for me. Finally. I made critical nutritional errors during my Ironman two years ago, and suffered from hypokalemia (which I'd never heard of prior to my diagnosis), placing me in the ER. I won't make that mistake again.
If the race was tomorrow, I probably could finish it, but it wouldn't be pretty. The next month is going to be a lot of volume in training. My biggest week will have over 20 hours of training.
After that, will I be ready for the Ironman? Definitely.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment