Wow. It's 7:15pm eastern time, and to just think that exactly one week from right now, I'll be in the midst of my first Ironman. I'll be somewhere along the run, likely experiencing the highest highs and the lowest lows of my life. Wondering why I am putting my body through arguably the toughest endurance event in existence, yet at the same time thriving off the energy of the day and amazed that I CAN put myself through the toughest endurance event in existence.
I leave on Thursday. Team Z and I are staying at the Rock and River Lodge, located in Keene, about 10 miles outside of Lake Placid. I'm glad we are staying close enough, yet far enough from the action. Knowing myself, I will have the nerves running wild upon my arrival. I almost will be surprised if I do NOT throw up beforehand. (I get pre-race butterflies very easily.)
Naturally I'm aware of every ache and pain my body is experiencing at the moment. I woke this past Thursday with knee pain (even at rest) in my bad right knee. ???? I have been giving it extra love and our unofficial Team Z physical therapist, Kerri, spent some time with me this morning. Seems I have a minor case of tendonitis. She showed me some emergency repairs and believes I'll get through the Ironman just fine (partly due to the therapy, partly due to adrenaline).
It's hard not to be emotional about the entire thing. Coach Ed shared his thoughts with us, sending a late night email last night. Siri shared hers after the bike ride this morning. And naturally, we've all been chatting amongst each other. We can see it in each other's eyes. The excitement. The nerves. I've shared something with 22 other people that I simply cannot describe. And it's not just the 22 others who are doing the Ironman with me next Sunday. It's our entire Team. We will paint Lake Placid in Team Z green.
For the longest time, I thought that after I completed the Ironman, I'd take a break from Team Z. Now granted, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to do some "other" things... hike, kayak, be a tourist in my own town, that sort of thing. I'll even perhaps be out past 10pm on a Saturday night? But, I won't be able to take a break from Team Z. They are my friends, my teammates, my confidants, my network. We've cried together, laughed together, seen each other at our worst and seen each other at our best.
One Week from Today.
Sunday, July 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment